Monday, July 23, 2012

A Truly Yummy Hero

Good morning!
Today, Wild Woman Author is pleased to welcome Donna Michaels and former Navy SEAL, Lt. Commander Finn Brennan from Cowboy Sexy an up-coming release from The Wild Rose Press, and part of the Yellow Rose line’s Honky Tonk Hearts Series.
Finn, what is Cowboy Sexy about? How I wanted to throttle my twin, Brett, when he sent me an early birthday gift to help out on our Colorado dude ranch when one of the ranch hands had the misfortune to break his leg while my brother was still deployed. So what does Brett send? A female…and not just any female. No. Not my brother. He sends me a beautiful, headstrong, pain-in-the-backside Marine. Okay, she has a real nice backside, but Brett knows how I feel about the Corps. Him aside, of course. I hate the Corps. The Marine’s took our father almost two decades ago, and because of a Marine, I injured my leg and was recently discharged from the SEALS. That discharge also cost me my girlfriend. So no, I do not like Marines. And now, not only do I have to put up with the sexy Lieutenant—my practical joker brother told our mother I was engaged to the damn Marine.
What did you think the first time you saw Cammie? That my heart hit my ribs so hard I broke one…or three.
And your second thought? That my brother was a dead man.
Did you think it was love at first sight? Love at first sight, no. I’d been down that road and it hurt. I was not going there ever again, especially with a Marine. I did think Cammie was the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen, and the very last thing I needed. Boy, did I have that last part wrong.
What do you like most about her? Cammie’s willingness to help others no matter what it costs.
How would you describe her? She is a stubborn, headstrong, control-freak with a killer body and the warmest, kindest heart, drawing me in and making me a better man than I could ever hope to achieve through the SEALs alone.
How would she describe you? She’d probably say I’m a stubborn Navy Cowboy who thinks he knows what’s good for himself, but of course, she knows best. She’s right. She does.
What made you choose running a dude ranch as a profession? I didn’t. I chose the Navy, like my grandfather. He died at Pearl Harbor. I joined the SEAL program and loved how the training and discipline set high standards, allowing me to help people out of impossible situations. And I was good at it. I made the rank of Lt. Commander and commanded my own team until a rookie Marine nearly got me killed and forced my medical discharge. Now, I’m stuck running the ranch until my brother comes home from Iraq. Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t like working at the dude ranch. I do. I enjoy helping others realize they can achieve more than they give themselves credit.
What is your biggest fear, Finn? My biggest fear used to be that I wouldn’t pass my Navy physical to get back into the SEALS. Now, my biggest fear is losing Cammie.
How do you relax? In order to keep this PG let me just say, hiking up the mountain with Cammie.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? I don’t read much. I’m more of a hands-on kind of guy, but when I was younger I did read Lord of the Rings. I’d have to say Strider was my favorite fictional character because at first he was held back by what he thought others thought of him, and when he decided to say the hell with it and take control of his destiny, he rose to big heights, helping people along the way.
What is the best piece of advice you ever received? The best piece of advice I ever received would be from my brother saying Cammie would be an asset and in the end I’d thank him for sending her. He was absolutely right. Don’t tell him I said that, though. His head is already two sizes too big.

Now it's Kat's turn to quiz Donna the author.
What attracted you to write for the HTH series? There were two things: The first was my editor, Stacy [Holmes]. She approached me about the series, knowing I loved cowboys. And she was right, I do. I also love a military man. This series was a great way to combine the two and pay tribute to not only the men in the military, but the women as well.
Was this your first series or are you a vet of this type of story telling? This wasn’t my first time writing for a series. I am also a part of The Wild Rose Press’s Wayback Series. Rhonda approached me with the honor of writing the Free Read, Wayback When, associated with the series to give readers a little taste of Wayback Texas and all it has to offer. I also have a small Valentine’s Day themed Miniature Rose series: Valentine’s Day Do-Over and Valentine’s Day Do-Over Part II: The Siblings.
How easy [or difficult] is it to write for a series? For me, I find writing for a series very easy. By the time you finish the first book, you get to know the ‘world’ quite well and throwing a few more people into the mix is easy. Writing for a series like HTH was not difficult, either. The editor gives you specifics to include, the rest is up to you and your imagination. My favorite place.

Here’s a little teaser for Cowboy Sexy:
Finn Brennan was used to his brother playing practical jokes, but this time he’d gone too far--sending him a woman as a ranch hand, and not just a woman, but a Marine.
When Lt. Camilla Walker's CO asks her to help out at his family's dude ranch until he returns from deployment, she never expected to be thrust into a mistaken engagement to his sexy, cowboy twin--a former Navy SEAL who hates the Corps.
The Corps took Finn’s father, his girlfriend and threatened his naval career. He’s worked hard for another shot at getting back to active duty and won’t let his brother’s prank interfere. The last thing he needs is the temptation of a headstrong, unyielding, hot Marine getting in the way.
 


To learn more about Donna Michaels and the stories she creates go to: www.donnamichaelsauthor.com
To purchase Cowboy Sexy, keep an eye out at The Wild Rose Press. Release date TBA.

Thanks for stopping by Wild Woman Author and don't forget to leave a comment!
~Donna and Kat


20 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

Great interview. Another TBR for me. I agree that writing for a series is great fun.

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks for having me, Kat!
And thanks, Margo. I enjoyed writing for this series and look forward to doing another sometime.

Unknown said...

This is my first visit, and I found the interview very interesting and curiosity. Im going to have to get this one and read it now. Already reading another one of Donna's books ive been enjoying.

Beth said...

This is my first visit also, thank you for the taste of the book.

Donna Michaels said...

Hi, Dawn!
Thanks. I'm glad you came over for a visit. As former military yourself, I hope you'll enjoy Finn's and Cammie's tale.

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Beth.
I appreciate the support. Cowboy-Sexy was a special book to write and I look forward to sharing their story.

Debra St. John said...

Finn and Cammie sound like the perfect addition to HTH. I certainly do love a yummy cowboy!

Anyone know if there's any chance the series will come out as an anthology (or two or three) at any point?

What an honor to be asked to join both this and Wayback.

debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

DebraStJohn

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Debra.
Finn and Cammie are two characters I really enjoyed writing.

I'm not sure if TWRP will do an anthology. Maybe if enough fans ask?

I, too, was honored to write in both HTH and the Wayback series. Cowboys are a good incentive. lol

Anonymous said...

Donna... After the teaser, looking forward to all of Cowboy Sexy!

Joanne Y

Mia Downing said...

Wow, Cowboy sexy sounds like a great read! Can't wait to pick it up.

Diana Coyle said...

Hi Donna,

What a great blog post by you and Finn! :) He sounds like one sexy Navy SEAL. Can't wait to read it!

Diana Coyle

Donna Michaels said...

Thank you, Joanne, Mia and Diana.

Finn and Cammie made Cowboy-Sexy fun to write. They are both strong and determined, which made for some interesting times. lol

Stacy D. Holmes, Editor said...

This IS a great story.

As for the anthology, though I can't say for sure, nothing is currently planned for anthologies.

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Stacy.

As always, I really enjoyed working on Finn's story with you.

Anonymous said...

Great interview and excerpt. This will be one great book for the series. I have a collection dedicated to. Cannot wait til it is released, along with some of the other in the series.

Donna Michaels said...

Thank you, Suzanne.
I agree. The Honky Tonk Hearts series is a good one to keep. I can't wait until I can share all of Finn with the world. lol

Jannine Gallant said...

Another winner for the series, from the sounds of it. Wow, I think your cover is even sexier than mine! Very nice.

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks, Jannine. This whole series is great. And I love your cover!

Jana Richards said...

Sounds like a great read, Donna. Best of luck with it!

Jana

Donna Michaels said...

Thanks so much, Jana!

Finn and Cammie were so much fun they practically wrote themselves...lol